REGISTER  

How to reinstall a package using yum
This thread belongs to soger.forumgeeks.net

2009-03-30 06:48 GMT   |   #1

Comments: 42

I have an OpenSUSE 10.3 on a 64 bit CPU.

I had postfix installed for both i586 and x86_64 (I'm not sure how that happened).

The problem is that I cannot start postfix because the 32 bit version would start, but the 32 bit version does not start because it misses libpcre. But I cannot install pcre.i586 because that would brake my apache.

I tried to uninstall postfix.i586 but after the uninstallation the /usr/sbin/postfix executable is still the 32 bit version. This is why I figured I should reinstall postfix.x86_64 I cannot uninstall and then install it again because it would remove way too much packages because of the dependencies.

What should I do?

2009-04-01 17:26 GMT   |   #2

You can try download the exact same package from the internet for example from fr2.rpmfind.net and then

rpm --force --install PACKAGE

Hope that helps.

2009-04-02 02:44 GMT   |   #3

Yes it did, thank you very much.

However it's a very unconfortable process, and what if I could not find the exact same package??

Debian's apt-get provides reinstall option. Not that I ever needed to use it, debian does not mix the achitectures. This is one of the reasons why I like debian a lot more than RPM based distros.

2009-04-04 01:02 GMT   |   #4

I disagree with you, I think RPM is a very good choice.

And yes, yum does not provide reinstall but you can do this:

rpm -e --justdb --nodeps PACKAGE
yum install PACKAGE

The first command will remove the package from the RPM database so you can (re)install it.

2009-04-05 17:37 GMT   |   #5

still, it is an ugly hack, if you ask me.

anyway thanks for the help guys.

2009-04-08 14:19 GMT   |   #6

BTW, does anyone know where is the yum package cache? The yum manpage says that I have to run yum clean packages because they are not automatically deleted, but I can't find them!

I thought maybe I could use the downloaded package to force the reinstall.

And again, with debian, this is a piece of cake, you can just say:

apt-get --reinstall --download-only install PACKAGE

and it will download the package to you and leave it in the cache directory.