REGISTER  

Advertising Revenue vs Hosting Costs
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net

2009-10-12 16:01 GMT   |   #1

I know this is a very general question, but does anyone have any experice with Advertising Revenue vs Hosting costs for sites they've made?

I've googled this but mostly Im just finding adverts for things. It seems very hard to make money from adverts alone if your a blog, but perhaps its a little different for forums. Id love some feedback from people who are actually doing it or have some experience.

Thanks
2009-10-12 16:04 GMT   |   #2

My advertising revenues are currently twice my hosting costs. However, it's hard to get advertising to do that unless you have dedicated advertisers where you can control the revenues. Using any of the shared advertising services leaves you at the mercy of the ad provider, be it google or someone else.
2009-10-12 19:41 GMT   |   #3

I help out this one website with some tech work, and in return they give me hosting on their VPS for free. Eventually when I do get to the point in time where I can start placing ads on my page so that I can gain some revenue, I will move away and give it it's own VPS. Forums generally attract people more than blogs do; making topics and replying to them is a bit more engaging then reading and commenting. Basically, it is heroin content for some users.
2009-10-16 15:07 GMT   |   #4

Thanks
2009-10-17 16:51 GMT   |   #5

You really need a very popular website to meet hosting costs if you're only relying on revenue from advertising.
2009-10-17 17:49 GMT   |   #6

Lets just say my forum had 300 users who each went on the site most days, what sort of figure am i talking about for hosting?

Lets just say this number exploded to 3000, what then?

Im not trying to make money of this venture but i dont want hosting costs to explode so i cant afford them. If the adverts arnt well targeted, can this happen?

Thanks
2009-10-19 01:48 GMT   |   #7

jdln wrote:Lets just say my forum had 300 users who each went on the site most days, what sort of figure am i talking about for hosting?

Im not trying to make money of this venture but i dont want hosting costs to explode so i cant afford them. If the adverts arnt well targeted, can this happen?

Thanks

If you had 3000 active members, you would have no problem getting advertisement to pay for hosting costs. At that level, you would be able to sell advertisement directory to the companies instead of going through a system like Adwords/Adsence
2009-10-19 07:00 GMT   |   #8

Mind you, for every user who goes to the site regularly, you probably have 10 or more users who almost never show up. It might even be 100. So if a site is supposed to have 3000 daily active users, it may have tens or even hundreds of thousands of registered users.
2009-10-19 09:01 GMT   |   #9

So as a general rule, will ad revenue more than cover hosting costs, regardless of the size of the site?

If I had 300 daily users who were actually active, what would be my very approximate hosting costs?

Thanks everyone.
2009-10-19 19:24 GMT   |   #10

SyntaxError90 wrote:
jdln wrote:Lets just say my forum had 300 users who each went on the site most days, what sort of figure am i talking about for hosting?

Thanks

If you had 3000 active members, you would have no problem getting advertisement to pay for hosting costs. At that level, you would be able to sell advertisement directory to the companies instead of going through a system like Adwords/Adsence

How does one go about adding advertising banners to the forum? Sorry, new at this.

1 2 3nextlast