REGISTER  

Adobe Photoshop vs Elements
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net

2009-10-05 10:11 GMT   |   #1

What is the difference between Adobe photoshop and Adobe Photoshop elements? I need to buy photoshop, and i realized there is Photoshop elements. what are the differences and which one should i buy if i'm drawing with it? thank you
2009-10-05 13:22 GMT   |   #2

Before you buy you should give GIMP2.0 a try.

I use to work with Adobe Photoshop ( Advance - to standard use), I found out that Gimp is as good as photoshop with 96% of the photo editing core such as Curves, Levels, Selection.

In fact one thing in Gimp that override Photoshp is its support to many languages that photoshop does not have.

Its open source also http://www.gimp.org/

Adobe photoshop and Adobe Photoshop elements

compare it to Advance Image Editing and normal image editing.

if you do not know the difference than you should go with Photoshop elements, most people buy "Adobe photoshop" for 3 reasons 1-To learn it 2-They need it 3-have to much money$$.
2009-10-05 14:13 GMT   |   #3

Elements is a reduced version, a lot of the aplications are also much less user friendly. If you want a cheap version of Photoshop, try photoshop 7 or CS1 as you can get them cheaply, but they are basicly the same thing. Gimp is 0k, but can be dificult to use.
2009-10-05 16:14 GMT   |   #4

Yes, GIMP is very good. It's ideal for anyone who wants general image editing capabilities but I'm sure it can be used by many people who need a wider range of features.
2009-10-06 00:51 GMT   |   #5

I purchased Photoshop Extended with CS4 Web Premium. It was only 269 USD, because I bought it through a website that makes software affordable for students, if you have academic verification, purchase it through there. You receive not a student version, but the complete commercial version with no expiration.
2009-10-06 01:39 GMT   |   #6

i used Photoshop cs3 in a class but i used gimp for finishing touches on the work i started and it worked great
2009-10-06 17:38 GMT   |   #7

I got elements because I was told that it was basically photoshop with a few of the advanced features taken out. I wanted a way to open PSDs because thats all I ever get and Paint Shop Pro doesn't edit them very well even though it has support for them.. Anyway, I installed elements and found that layer groups that are made within photoshop can't be opened, you have to flatten/merge the whole group into one layer in order to use it and that just sucks..

So, I more or less wasted my time on Elements.
2009-10-06 19:31 GMT   |   #8

GIMP opens PSD files but I'm not sure if it loads all the features of the image.
2009-10-07 15:04 GMT   |   #9

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. GIMP is one of the failures of GNU. Adobe Photoshop's interface far outclasses GIMP.

Hopefully though, the devs will get a bright idea and make GIMP more user-friendly. :)
2009-10-07 15:27 GMT   |   #10

Desdenova wrote:I'm sorry, but I have to say this. GIMP is one of the failures of GNU. Adobe Photoshop's interface far outclasses GIMP.

Hopefully though, the devs will get a bright idea and make GIMP more user-friendly. :)

Interface is the last thing a designer looks at, functionality is one of the main key in any design program.

Yes the interface is different (if you are used to photoshop), and for it to be good, does it mean to have the same look as Photoshop!

Check out these tutorials it will show you a bit of the power that the open source software gimp has

http://gimp-tutorials.net/

also if you want gimp interface to look like Photoshop try using GIMPshop which is a hacked version of Gimp that makes it look like photoshop

:)

1 2nextlast