REGISTER  

Google Wave another Open Source Project
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net

2009-09-30 16:46 GMT   |   #1

Google Wave is a more advance instant messenger system that has a very powerful API that could be embedded into sites and phones.

Do you think that Wave.google.com will be the next HTML5 App that will dominate the internet.

Does the following words attract your attention.

-Open source
-API
-Public and Private group conversion and file sharing
-Group Projects edits with changes and edits playback by individual users in projects.
-Chat in any language you want without knowing the language ( 40 languages) !!!!

Share your thoughts about the next big open source project.
2009-09-30 19:46 GMT   |   #2

I have seen the presentation they had on the conference in May regarding this project and from what I have seen within the developer demonstration, I think Google Wave has some very nice features.

I think it will be at least a nice improvement over e-mail, just to give a small example of what I mean.
I tried to setup a barbecue for me and my classmates. I arranged everything via e-mail which meant that I have to keep track of everyone who is coming and such.

With the waves, I would have simply setup a wave, then include a Yes|No|Maybe gadget within the wave and add everybody. Then, if the time or date needed to be changed, you simply edit the wave and everybody would notice, rather then to send everybody an e-mail again and collecting all the responses(etc. etc.)

I think that Google Wave can be quite a good communication platform, however the drawback of course is that also the people who you wish to communicate with are also on Google Wave.

So I think that depending on the popularity on this new product, it either will be a hit, or it will be ignored as nobody uses it anyway.
2009-10-01 00:06 GMT   |   #3

yemenbz wrote:Does the following words attract your attention.

Yes. But this is also the cloud/Web 3.0, and I have yet to decide what I think about that.
2009-10-01 00:40 GMT   |   #4

Name or link for it please.
2009-10-01 01:14 GMT   |   #5

wave.google.com
2009-10-01 08:25 GMT   |   #6

Are they allowed to publish the Chatlogs in google-search, just like they are allowed to do with all site contents viewed in google-chrome? :? *some how fears google and his privacy*
2009-10-01 10:33 GMT   |   #7

nickvergessen wrote:Are they allowed to publish the Chatlogs in google-search, just like they are allowed to do with all site contents viewed in google-chrome? :? *some how fears google and his privacy*

The waves are only available to those who have been given access to it. They are now working/implementing a feature, in which you can publish a wave so the "World" can see it.

I think that these "published" waves could be included within searches.
2009-10-01 14:16 GMT   |   #8

nickvergessen wrote:Are they allowed to publish the Chatlogs in google-search, just like they are allowed to do with all site contents viewed in google-chrome? :? *some how fears google and his privacy*

Actually wave is less of a service but more of a technology. You can get the server code and create your own wave server for your company or friends.
2009-10-01 15:21 GMT   |   #9

dhn wrote:

Actually wave is less of a service but more of a technology. You can get the server code and create your own wave server for your company or friends.
dhn is alive! :mrgreen:

That's what I was going to say. Google Wave is fully federated, so you can install and setup your own wave server if you want. Besides, has Google published google chat chat logs yet? :P