REGISTER  

Google Chrome OS
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net

2009-07-08 22:11 GMT   |   #1

Apparently Google is going to release their own operating system to compete with Windows and Ubuntu - see this article.
Google wrote: “We’re designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds,” said Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Google’s engineering director Linus Upson.

They added that ”the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web [and this is] our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be”.

“We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don’t have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates.”

“It should just work,” said Google.

Personally I don't think it's going to work, an Operating System is too large to start from scratch these days and people don't want to change. But I'm often proven wrong, only time will see. :)
2009-07-08 22:22 GMT   |   #2

The way I read that article, this new operating system will be designed to run a webbrowser. I doubt it would be robust enough to run any other applications.
2009-07-08 22:23 GMT   |   #3

They wont start from scratch because they will use the Linux kernel or at least parts of it and they will probably use other open source software to handle various other parts of the OS.

People don't seem to understand that it's web based, so it will never be able to meet the standards of people who want a fully featured OS. It could dominate the netbook market but I hope google looks into creating another OS which supports the use of local applications and not just the web. It would be a lesser problem if only we had free wifi everywhere, which would be nice. :D

I hope they do well and develop into a fully featured OS like I mentioned.

Google dominating the cheaper end of the market and Apple dominating the luxury end would be an ideal mix for the PC market. Just a fantasy at the moment though. :(

I would like to note that the cheapest Mac mini could be considered to cover the cheaper side. They don't provide cheap laptops though, which google could provide. Luxury over price has always been Apple's philosophy, which I respect.
2009-07-08 23:45 GMT   |   #4

onehundredandtwo wrote:Apparently Google is going to release their own operating system...
In phases. Netbooks first then laptops & desktops. Think about it though, a browser as the OS, none of the extraneous OS overhead for users who's sole purpose in using a computer is to be online. Did you feel the earth move in Redmond today? :P I really thought the chrome browser was going to be a waste of time when it was first announced but guess what, they did a fantastic job and it definitely has made it's mark in less than a year. Do not underestimate Google. ;)
2009-07-09 02:30 GMT   |   #5

I'm excited to see what they roll out. Who knows what will happen? If they do ever have an impact on the OS market -- be it now or 20 years from now --, people will still say things like "There's no way Google could penetrate the OS market. It's too heavily dominated as it is." On the other hand, of course, the odds of that happening are admittedly quite low. So I think, in the end, all we can do is wait and see. If nothing else it will be something to watch.
2009-07-09 14:06 GMT   |   #6

Oh, goodie, now I can get ads displayed on my desktop. :roll:
2009-07-09 14:08 GMT   |   #7

drathbun wrote:Oh, goodie, now I can get ads displayed on my desktop. :roll:

Lol. Isn't it ironic?

At any rate, it'll be great - even if the OS never catches on. M$ will work harder, as will Linux and the bunch because competition spurs a better product.
2009-07-09 20:47 GMT   |   #8

mdvaldosta wrote:M$ will work harder, as will Linux and the bunch because competition spurs a better product.

That's true in some cases, but Microsoft has been known to sacrifice quality for more profit. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.
2009-07-09 20:51 GMT   |   #9

Way to go, Google...!
Next project: Create a city car...

8-)
2009-07-10 02:15 GMT   |   #10

ChriZathens wrote:Way to go, Google...!
Next project: Create a city car...

8-)

Better then that, "computer hardware" wouldn't gamers and ITs like that. :)

1 2 3nextlast