REGISTER  

The All-in-one Techie thread
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net

2008-07-15 05:55 GMT   |   #1

With the release of opensuse 11 and fedora core 9 amongst a few others, i think a lot of people will end up switching to linux this year. I know i finally decided to make the whole jump. As far as macs go, i dont disaprove of them, however i dislike the fact that is a Unix based system that is commercial. But my opinion is based on Desktop solutions not server ones. At least im not running "The bane of the world" as Highway of life put it. Whats you intake on the different O.S, servers, and desktop solutions out there and what do you have to say about them?

I think that Linux and Unix as a whole have come a great deal from what they used to be simpy a year or two ago. And that makes me very happy. I believe that, that is where the success from open source lies, and its thank to such that linux is making many improvements as its not only one single company or body working on it, but thousands ney, millions using it and making improvements to it every day.

Talk away.
2008-07-15 13:59 GMT   |   #2

Well, Unix has always been commercial, so anything based on it will have to be commercial as well. I saw a webhost offering Mac-mini as a hosting solution not too long ago, which I thought was weird.
2008-07-15 15:43 GMT   |   #3

I think that Ubuntu will become the big Linux desktop player for general users (ie. guy down the street or your grandma), but you'll still get the niche distros and those that one would associated with the server space (RHEL, CentOS etc.)

I can't see Mac OSX becoming any sort of major player in the server market due to the cost more than anything else. I don't see how it could be economically viable in a commercial sense to run an OSX server unless you are appealing towards the mac fanboys when you might as well be running a CentOS or other Linux distro one on hardware that cost half the price of the same spec Mac system.

Personally, I run Vista on my desktop and don't have any major problems with it. However, as Ubuntu continues to improve its looking to be a more viable solution for me to run on the desktop.

Mark
2008-07-15 16:19 GMT   |   #4

MarkTheDaemon wrote:I think that Ubuntu will become the big Linux desktop player for general users (ie. guy down the street or your grandma), but you'll still get the niche distros and those that one would associated with the server space (RHEL, CentOS etc.)

I can't see Mac OSX becoming any sort of major player in the server market due to the cost more than anything else. I don't see how it could be economically viable in a commercial sense to run an OSX server unless you are appealing towards the mac fanboys when you might as well be running a CentOS or other Linux distro one on hardware that cost half the price of the same spec Mac system.

Personally, I run Vista on my desktop and don't have any major problems with it. However, as Ubuntu continues to improve its looking to be a more viable solution for me to run on the desktop.

Mark
I know there are some universities running Xserve clusters for research, but for hosting, like you said, I just don't see it being a viable solution due to the cost. You can get servers with the same/similar specs for much less, so really it comes down to software, which will only run on Apple hardware ...
2008-07-15 16:36 GMT   |   #5

Techie-Micheal wrote:I know there are some universities running Xserve clusters for research, but for hosting, like you said, I just don't see it being a viable solution due to the cost. You can get servers with the same/similar specs for much less, so really it comes down to software, which will only run on Apple hardware ...

Yeah, to clarify I meant about the hosting sector more than anything else. A LAMP stack is going to be pretty much the same as running it on a Mac, apart from the fact that you need to shell out more initially to get the Mac, which is why I don't see how it is viable from a hosting point of view.

Mark
2008-07-15 21:15 GMT   |   #6

MarkTheDaemon wrote:... as Ubuntu continues to improve its looking to be a more viable solution for me to run on the desktop.

Do you have a preference among the Ubuntu distros/desktops?
2008-07-15 22:15 GMT   |   #7

For some reason Ubuntu never appealed to me. I have tried Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu....but i just didnt really like it. Partially because the 64bit DVDs arent avialable that easily. I started off with mandriva, i used Fedora for a bit, but didnt like it at all, and Gentoo...which i used for a while. Now im in suse :)
2008-07-16 00:14 GMT   |   #8

SamG wrote:Do you have a preference among the Ubuntu distros/desktops?

I prefer Ubuntu to other distros on the desktop because I feel that it is a good desktop OS. Personally I think its ahead of other distros on the desktop for hardware support etc. however I'm sure others may disagree, which is why we have the option of choice with Linux.

However, I'll continue to use RHEL/CentOS on my servers, probably because I "know" the Redhat way of doing things.

Mark
2008-07-16 00:19 GMT   |   #9

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to ask if you had a preference among Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu - though I'm guessing Xubuntu would not be your first choice.
2008-07-16 21:42 GMT   |   #10

Other than debian based apt-get and apt-update what things does Ubuntu have on other distros? Lets say, specially Opensuse? The new Yast interface is pretty sick and does things very simple. I am trully interested as to what sets ubuntu above every other linux distro in the market now a days.

1 2 3 4 5nextlast