REGISTER  


News feed, a facebook patent.
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net


2010-02-26 15:42 GMT   |   #1

Taken from here
A method for displaying a news feed in a social network environment is described. The method includes generating news items regarding activities associated with a user of a social network environment and attaching an informational link associated with at least one of the activities, to at least one of the news items, as well as limiting access to the news items to a predetermined set of viewers and assigning an order to the news items. The method further may further include displaying the news items in the assigned order to at least one viewing user of the predetermined set of viewers and dynamically limiting the number of news items displayed.


The wonderful world of patents. Facebook is not really the inventor of "news feeds" but now they have something to throw against other social networking sites.
Either get them shut down or have them pay.
2010-02-26 15:44 GMT   |   #2

lurttinen wrote:Taken from here
A method for displaying a news feed in a social network environment is described. The method includes generating news items regarding activities associated with a user of a social network environment and attaching an informational link associated with at least one of the activities, to at least one of the news items, as well as limiting access to the news items to a predetermined set of viewers and assigning an order to the news items. The method further may further include displaying the news items in the assigned order to at least one viewing user of the predetermined set of viewers and dynamically limiting the number of news items displayed.


The wonderful world of patents. Facebook is not really the inventor of "news feeds" but now they have something to throw against other social networking sites.
Either get them shut down or have them pay.

news feeds were around long before any of the social networking type sites.

so this could have much more far reaching effects.

this kind of thing is just so stupid.


robert
2010-02-26 15:47 GMT   |   #3

Gotta love software patents. Somehow, they manage to patent something that they didn't come up with in the first place, and its so abstract as to let them use it as a weapon.

I'm hoping that someone that has something considered a "previous work" gets this thrown out, and whoever approved that patent be fired.
2010-02-26 20:32 GMT   |   #4

I've heard that people who approve patents in my countries are not allowed to use the internet during the search under procedure hence internet related patents are easy to get.
2010-02-27 14:26 GMT   |   #5

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:news feeds were around long before any of the social networking type sites.

Except this patent covers news feeds in a social networking site, which is innovation enough for a patent.

god0fgod wrote:I've heard that people who approve patents in my countries are not allowed to use the internet during the search under procedure hence internet related patents are easy to get.

Software isn't patentable in the UK or EU, not sure about other EU member states but I'd assume it's not in most cases.