REGISTER  

Should Marijuana be Entirely Legal?
This thread belongs to weasel.forumgeeks.net

2010-04-07 22:11 GMT   |   #1

Please do not post any spam, unintelligent ramblings, propaganda, or general unsupported yellings.

I'll start it off

PROS;
-Drugs are not a legal problem, they're a health issue and should be treated as such
-The war on drugs is expensive
-The war on drugs ruins families of ordinary people
-GDP would increase
-Hemp would finally be legal and we would have a sustainable source of food, fiber, fuel, medicine, etc
-There would be less money for criminal organizations
-The mexican drug cartels would have less business and therefore kill less people
-Legalizing drugs DOES NOT lead to increased demand for them. Think about it: is the reason you don't do Meth because it's illegal or because you know it's bad for you?
-Marijuana related deaths are 0 (or close to it) while tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, tylenol etc. are huge!
-Prohibition simply doesn't work... it has no benefits other than making some people rich at the expense of taxpayers

CONS;
-Private prison owners wouldn't make as much money off of non-violent "criminals"
-Cotton and Forestry industries would suffer because their campaign against hemp through the demonization of marijuana would fall through.

Please add your own, if you have any legitimate Cons I would love to see them.

Peace,
-GG
2010-04-07 23:57 GMT   |   #2

Government will never allow it due to many criminal groups that won't allow them to ;)
2010-04-08 01:20 GMT   |   #3

I'm going to have to say yes, but only because other drugs (tobacco and alcohol) are more harmful and addictive

Of course this also has potential flow on effects on LSD & ecstasy among others, but when considered from a scientific point of view I really see no reason why we should continue to hand marijuana distribution to organised crime rather than having it controlled and regulated, a la alcohol.
2010-04-08 01:31 GMT   |   #4

EY wrote:Government will never allow it due to many criminal groups that won't allow them to ;)

Why won't they allow the government to legalize it? Are you suggesting that these criminal groups bribe government workers or something?

Drug related crime alone is good reason to legalize it (look at what prohibition and it's repeal did to the Mafia).
2010-04-08 04:29 GMT   |   #5

As for forestry loosing it's market, they could just switch to growing hemp, they would make more money and cultivate quicker and more.
I agree with Anon.. MJ, barely has a dependence, unlike the legal alcohol and cigs..
Crime will go down, economy would benefit, and yeah no more drug war.. well basically against MJ, which is what is mainly smuggled..

DON'T FORGET THE BIGGEST BENEFIT, we could all chill if we haven't already. Which is great in this economic time.. :mrgreen:

I also don't think it should be entirely legal, I think we should just keep it as medical but for all states.. and also It would be nice if Florida had laws like New York..
It would be really nice if all the states had the same laws..
2010-04-08 05:35 GMT   |   #6

EXreaction wrote:Why won't they allow the government to legalize it? Are you suggesting that these criminal groups bribe government workers or something?

I'm pretty sure the private penetentiaries who make bank off holding marijuana users at the expense of the taxpayers are telling politicians to keep it illegal when they hand them their cut ... I mean campaign contributions ;)
2010-04-08 06:14 GMT   |   #7

Yes, of course. I'm for the legalization of all drugs for personal use but especially marijuana and, luckily, I live in a state where the tide began turning during the 08 election.
2010-04-08 15:18 GMT   |   #8

EXreaction wrote:
EY wrote:Government will never allow it due to many criminal groups that won't allow them to ;)

Why won't they allow the government to legalize it? Are you suggesting that these criminal groups bribe government workers or something?

Drug related crime alone is good reason to legalize it (look at what prohibition and it's repeal did to the Mafia).

Because these big groups make money out of it.
2010-04-09 17:45 GMT   |   #9

Wow! What a discussion. I love it!

Here's my .02 cents. Yes. I think it should be legalized. My reasons are this........
1)Marijuana is not harmful. Smoking cigs and drinking are more harmful than pot. And those arent my words. They teach this in health class at any college level and in some instances High School. In fact cigarretes and alcohol are considered to be a "drug". But yet marijuana is illegal, and tobaco and alcohol are legal. And unlike other drugs, there is only one way to use marijuana. You cant inject it, you cant snort it, you cant take it as a pill. Marijuana gets smoked. That's it! Just like cigs and cigars, which are both legal.

2)The legalization process is this: Will the city, states and government make more money off the selling of it, rather than the arresting of it. Right now even the small cities and towns are reaping the rewards of it being illegal. A cop rights you a possession fine, you go to court, pay your fine, and off you go. This happens in alot for towns (just go to traffic court one day and observe how many possession charges there are and what the out come is), and for the most part it is a slap on the wrist for possesing marijuana, pay your fine, and away you go.This generates alot of money for cities and towns. Now if marijuana is legal, all these towns will lose that marijuana fine(s) revenue, which of course they dont want to lose because there greedy :roll: . Now how about the big arrests, the distribution arrests. City and state makes a ton of money off of this, from the bail, the lawyers, and so on.

3)Legalized: The obvious reason for most. THE TAXATION! If legalized, it will be taxed just like tobacco and alcohol, and all city, state and governments will make a small, (correction) LARGE fortune from selling over priced, high taxed weed. Thus the government becomes our drug dealer, lol! And I pretty much guarantee the price of marijuana if legalized will be much more expensive than it is now on the street.

Moral of the story: If you want marijuana legal, quit paying your possesion fines so the city and states have no choice but to legalize it to generate revenue :D
2010-04-09 19:58 GMT   |   #10

Badkat wrote:Yes. I think it should be legalized.

I agree with you on this.

Badkat wrote:And unlike other drugs, there is only one way to use marijuana. You cant inject it, you cant snort it, you cant take it as a pill.

Do not forget that it can be mixed with other drugs to give an even stronger drug.

Badkat wrote: A cop rights you a possession fine, you go to court, pay your fine, and off you go.

I cannot fully agree with you on this one.
Depending how much you get caught with, you can be in big trouble ;)

Thanks

1 2 3 4nextlast